“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Where did my baby go?

I know I'm not the only parent who asks this, but damn, Evelyn is SO BIG. And this last week has been a big week for her. You see, Evelyn is often very shy in new situations around people she doesn't know (I was the same way. Fortunately my younger brother was a social butterfly so I was able to follow him around and be friends with his friends), and sometimes she's afraid of things like going down the slide, riding on a swing, etc. etc. So it was a big deal for her this past weekend when we embarked on a road trip for my dear friend's wedding in Illinois--

She quickly warmed up to my friends:



Went on a pony ride (I really didn't think she'd go for this one but look at her!):


Walked down the aisle as a flower girl and didn't cry for me until she was just about at the end (see more photos of this wedding here):



AND, the biggest thing came on Tuesday, when we went to our first playgroup of this season. This year she's in the Terrific Two's, which is a separating class - we play together for the first half hour, then we do circle time and sing songs, and then the parents go down the hall to a different room to discuss parenting topics, etc. while the kids stay in the room with the other two teachers. During the first half hour of play-time, Evelyn pretty much clung to me. She insisted that I carry her and just want to sit in my lap and observe. Which was fine. She needs time to warm up. And so of course I was doubtful that she'd be okay with me leaving the room when it was time. And even the teacher, noticing Evelyn's clinging, told me that it would be okay if I had to stay in the room because we don't want to traumatize her and that if I do leave and she cries they will call me back to the room. 

Well, when it was time to leave all the kids sat at the table to play play-dough. I told her I was going to talk with some other mama's and that I'd be back soon, kissed her on the head, and left. I didn't hear her protest (I think she was in awe of all the kids at the table), and when the phone rang down in the parent room both times I was sure it would be for me but I underestimated Evelyn because she was totally fine. Yes, the half hour of separation was up, we went back to the room and the site of Evelyn sitting on the rug with the teacher and all the other kids almost brought tears to my eyes - what a BIG KID. Seriously, they looked like mini-kindergardeners sitting there so nicely. When she saw me her face lit up but she was then too big to hold my hand down the hallway. 

Stinker. 



4 comments:

  1. Sarah, I have to show a friend of mine this post, because in that third picture you look just like her. It's spooky.

    Seeing the little bits of independence that pop up is a very bittersweet feeling.. proud, and sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sarah! She is getting big! And just as beautiful as her Momma! I swear, she's already as big as Eva (size wise)... Eve only weighs 30 lbs! The smallest in her class. But, WHEN DID OUR GIRLS GET SO BIG?! Ahhhh! Also, your doppleganger is TOTALLY Star from The Lost Boys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous photos. It seems incredible how fast babyhood becomes small child.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.