“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

ever wondered about the moon's mommy and daddy? {conversations with Evelyn}

on the drive home tonight we were very excited about the clear skies and the full moon. look, Mom, stars! 

we're driving and Evelyn asks, "Where's her mommy and daddy?"

"Whose mommy and daddy?" I asked.

"The moon's mommy and daddy," she said, her voice swelled with sincerity, curiosity. 

I didn't know how to answer the question... "I don't think the moon has a mommy and daddy.." I said. "What do you think?" 

She didn't say anything, so I decided to wonder with her. "Maybe the sun is the moon's mommy?" I asked her. "And maybe her daddy is one of the stars."

"Maybe they go on an airplane," she said.

"Who goes on an airplane?"

"The moon's mommy and daddy."

"Oh," I said, "Maybe the moon's mommy and daddy are on vacation?" (me and evelyn's daddy went on an airplane on vacation a couple weeks ago. without her. she's obviously still thinking about this)

"Yeah, they stay in a hotel," she said. Evelyn loves hotels. 

A little while later she says, "They home now, the moon's mommy and daddy."

"Oh yeah? Where's their home?"

"Um...at someone else's house....in Chicago."

So, there you have it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.