“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Friday, June 22, 2012

eco- & wallet-friendly party time!

Today is Evelyn's 3rd birthday, which, for me, is the best day of the whole year. More exciting than Christmas and far better than my own birthday, today is all about my favorite girl, Evelyn Jane. And it's officially summer, and I couldn't be happier about today's weather forecast: 77 and bright blue sunny skies, my favorite kind of day and exactly what I'd hoped for for today.

I LOVE throwing parties. I love planning them, decorating them, and hosting them, yet it's something I don't get to do all that often because we just usually don't have that much time for planned parties. At this age we're still having just a family party (once she attends school I'm sure that will change), and we're so excited!

When I plan and decorate for a party I'm huge on being as eco- and wallet-friendly as possible, which is actually part of the fun. To make our modest living space a bit more festive, we put the leaf in the table and I covered it with a large white lace piece of fabric, which works perfectly as a table cloth when I tie up the ends. This is something I picked up at the thrift store last year for a couple bucks.

Using some of that same fabric and some hemp rope that I've had forever, I made a bunting to hang across our sliding glass doors. I also have these great handmade pinwheels that I got from someone who'd used them for her wedding. She didn't know what to do with them, and didn't want to throw them out, so I said I'd take them. There are quite a few pinwheels so I cut some of them into small triangles that I also added to the bunting.

On our walk yesterday, Evelyn and I picked wildflowers and daisies from throughout the neighborhood (but only the ones that grow close to the road and in bushes where people wouldn't miss them/notice I was taking them!). I have tons of old spaghetti sauce and jam jars that I use for vases, and, to tie in with the bunting, I wrapped the faces with old lace and hemp, and added a cut-out triangle....

I also baked some DELICIOUS lemon bars (I had to taste them!) and this awesome vegan cocoa cake.

And I refuse to use paper plates, so I'm making sure all the dishes are clean, and Evelyn's grandma is bringing a few extra plates and forks just in case we need them.

And I almost forgot--the Thank You cards! The other week Evelyn and I did a mini photo shoot outside, and I asked her to hold a thank you sign I'd made (with black marker and part of a paper grocery bag. I may have bribed her with chocolate.) I ordered wallet-size photos (along with a client's order so I didn't pay additional shipping), and used photo corners to stick the photos onto blank cards that I have. They're also serving as table decoration.

Oh, and for the kids I made my own "Pin the Tail on the Monkey" -- which reminds me, I still have to cut out some monkey tails!

I think I'm a party nerd. That's okay with me.











2 comments:

  1. Sarah- BEAUTIFUL! that is all.

    wait, I lied- HAPPY BIRTHDAY EVELYN YOU WONDERFUL LITTLE LADY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos! Congrats to you all. Happy days!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.