“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Monday, August 29, 2011

ABC's! (and yeah, I got stood up)

This mama is proud. My daughter has recognized that letters are letters. Ah! Here's how I know she knows:

Last night we were doing the bed-time-story routine, and one of Evelyn's latest "things that she does" is point to pictures in the book and ask, "What's that?" even though she knows what it is. And she does this while I'm trying to read, so it can get annoying, but I put up with it. She's two. And cute. So she'll point to a flower and ask "What's that?" and I'll say. "A flower," but if she points to a tree and I say, "That's car," she says, "No, tree!" in a voice that's like gosh mom you're stupid that's a tree duh! 


Anyway, so we were doing that and for the first time yesterday she pointed at the block of words on the page and asked, "What's that?" and I said, "Those are words." And she paused for a moment and said, "ABC's?" And my stomach did a flippity-flop and I said, "Yes, Evelyn! ABC's!" and I gave her a big hug and told her she is sooooo smart.

And she's sleeping in for me today, so nice. Monday morning has never felt so easy. Especially after my Sunday afternoon. A model I was supposed to do a photo shoot with totally bailed on me. No phone call, no word. Just totally stood me up. I drove over 100 miles. To take zero photos. Wtf is wrong with people? My dear girl will know much, much better than to be so rude.

3 comments:

  1. what a great post! and holy moly, what a beautiful photo! i LOVE when eva "reads"- it gets me so excited! do you have any work book for evelyn? i picked up a ton at barnes and noble, and eva just eats them up... we started her out with matching at 2 yrs.. and then onto cap-letters and numbers and now lower case... (i'm just going to go ahead and pretend we live in a world where people aren't so inconsiderate.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a gorgeous picture! My kids are at the point where they read to themselves now, but I used to love when they'd take their turn to read and I could hear them add tone and inflection to their reading.

    And yeah people suck. If she calls back, I'd ask for gas money on top of your fee if you're charging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photo! (great subject matter!). I don't know what to say about the rude model, other than humans have a tendency SUCK!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.