“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Friday, June 10, 2011

I'm Versatile!

I've thought of myself as a versatile blogger because I do write about many different things, which is why I had a hard time figuring out what exactly my blog should be about (remember my blog-identity crisis the other week?), but I've realized that the title says it all: it's about the here and now, which can be interpreted in a number of different ways, including 
  • atheistic (what we have here and now, on this earth, within us, is all we have. There exists nothing more, nothing less....)
  • poetic (notice this moment right here and now, how good that coffee tastes on your tongue, even long after you've swallowed, notice the light and the shadows, notice your feet....)
  • meditative (Zen is all about the here and now)
  • political (pay attention, at least somewhat, to what's going on around you because you are, inevitably, a part of it)
  • personal (Hi, my name is Sarah, this is where I am and what I'm doing and thinking right here and now, here's some pictures and music I like, thanks for reading)
And I'm versatile because my passions are--I can't write about just politics because I also have to write about poetry and art. And I can't write about just poetry and art because I also have to write about religion and philosophy. And I love making photographs so I have to share some of those with you too. And I am deeply moved by music, so of course there's gotta be some of that. And I spend most of my hours with Evelyn, my nearly-2-year-old, so of course I have to write about her too.

And, as you can imagine, if my writing covers a broad spectrum of interests, you should see the list of blogs I follow. I read blogs on liberal politics, atheism, motherhood, photography, fashion, poetry, environmentalism, writing, crafting, interior design, and blogs like mine--smorgasbords of personal stories, opinions, passions, etc.

And one such a blog, a newly discovered one, has awarded me with The Versatile Blogger award. Thank you Joyful Sparrow! Both for the award and for answering this morning's question of what I should write about.

And now I have to give the award to three other versatile bloggers and share three of my goals (it's been changed from facts to wishes and now to goals):

The bloggers, in alphabetical order (by blog name):
The goals:
  • Travel travel travel. I want to, am going to, travel all over the States, Central America, Europe, Australia....there is so much world to see and so little time in which to see it. This is a catalyst (one of them) for my moments of anxiety. 
  • Publish publish publish. I want to, am going to, publish poetry for sure, whole books of it, and maybe eventually try out the memoir/personal essay thing....
  • ..............I can only think of these two right now and need to go shower and open up this second day of garage sale. I'm a terrible salesperson, by the way. You barely have to barter with me, I'll agree to almost any price, because I can't say no. I'm spineless. But versatile!

11 comments:

  1. Versatile and ambitious!

    Greetings, from a fellow MN blogger!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! I being called versatile a lot better than what I've been referring to myself as.. "Doesn't know where her head is at!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your goals! Publish and Travel - two of mine as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yandie-I feel the same, I was like Yes, that's it, I'm versatile, not disorganized and sporadic...

    ReplyDelete
  5. But really, who am I fooling? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on getting out on the other side of the existential crisis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tree hugger and atheism don't mix as well as tree hugger and pantheism. Just saying......

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha, that's an interesting though. I'd have to look into pantheism more, but based on what I know about it, I wouldn't object a whole lot if someone referred to me as a pantheist.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the award Sarah!
    You are very smart and talented, no doubt you will accomplish your goals.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.