“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Garage Sale Etiquette (and me rambling my brains out)

I'm a very socially conscious person (if "socially conscious" is such a technical term), in that I pick up on social cues without even trying. I'm always reading people and adjusting my tone and actions in accordance, in order to minimize awkwardness in situations as much as I can. Sometimes this is a positive quality because I think most people feel comfortable around me (I hope?), but sometimes my social-sensitivity can be a negative thing, too. Because sometimes, a lot of times, I overdo it. Not that anyone can notice, but I drive myself crazy. Like at this garage sale right now. I'm totally over thinking it, 'cause I see people pull up, and I'm inside waiting for Evelyn to wake up, and I'm like "Should I go out there and say hello? But I don't wanna make them feel pressured. But then again, I don't want them to think 'Where's the person who lives here so I can buy something?'" And all morning I've been wondering if I should play music to break the awkward silence as strangers rummage through my junk. But then of course I wonder what kind of music--is everything on my iPod appropriate? And then I wish I had lots of coffee or tea to offer people, especially since it's a chilly day, and it's my home, so I feel like I should be fairly hospitable, maybe offer cookies or fruit, but if I had enough money to do that then I probably wouldn't be having a garage sale. Maybe start a friendly conversation? But what if the person isn't interested in conversation? And besides, I'm not very good at small-talk. I suck it. At least I think I suck at it. Which probably causes me to suck at it more than I actually do (are you done listening yet?....wow). And I suck at it (or think that I do) because I don't enjoy it all that much. If we're gonna talk, let's talk something real (not that small talk is fake, you know what I mean). Tell me your true feelings today. Are you down? Let me get you a cup of coffee. What do you think about the universe? Here, let me show you this poem, this painting, this song.... what's your favorite song? Let's stop talking and listen to it.

3 comments:

  1. I nodded my head to every sentence in this post. I think I may have found a very similar soul to my own..

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. aw...that makes me smile. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've left a little something for you on my blog. Enjoy the rest of your Thursday!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.