“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Friday, March 25, 2011

Parr for Pres!

I know I've mentioned him on here before, but he's always worth mentioning again, because Charlie Parr is so great. He's a Minnesota-based bluegrass/folk artist, and a Winona favorite. The first video below, actually, was shot at my favorite bar in Winona, and I am pretty sure I was at that particular show. On top of being incredibly talented, Charlie Parr is also incredibly down to earth. Even though he's toured Australia and becoming quite well-known, he doesn't lose his modesty, his coolness. And he doesn't sell out to large venues.

At his shows people often yell out "Parr for Pres," and there's even a sign at Ed's bar (where the first video is shot) that says that same thing. As I'm becoming more and more infuriated with our government, I'm thinking Parr for Pres sounds pretty damn good :)

Oh yeah, I'm going to see him tonight! After a long week of being housebound with a toddler, this mama is ready to have a drink (or four) and stomp her feet...



After getting all sweaty from dancing so much, this song is always appreciated, both for its beauty and its slower beat:

3 comments:

  1. or four? more like ten. just so you're prepared. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I lived in Minnesota, I would so come out for a drink. or four.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.