“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Friday, December 3, 2010

Bluegrass + Winona = Love

Gosh, I should really go take a shower while Evelyn is still asleep, but I am just bursting with excitement because J and I are going to Winona tonight to see Trampled by Turtles. Woooohooooo!

Maybe you're like, what? Why is that so exciting that it gets a Woooohoooo after it?

Well, first of all, any visit to Winona, Minnesota, is bound to be awesome. I spent all four of my undergraduate years there (2006-2010), and it is just an amazing town. It's surrounded by bluffs and organic farms, and the town is filled with non-chain, non-corporate coffee shops, bookstores, and bars. And it has a co-op filled with everything organic and sustainable. And, there are so many great and interesting people there. And (last "and," I promise), the town is just filled with my favorite memories. Winona is where I "grew up." (The growing up that you do from age 18 -22, which, for me, was a lot).

Secondly, Trampled by Turtles is an awesome bluegrass band. Bluegrass is my favorite music, and, of course, I first fell in love with it in Winona. So this is a perfect match.

Third, all four of Evelyn's wonderful grandparents are taking care of her so J and I will actually be on a real date (Ha, it sounds like Evelyn needs four adults to control her. They're not all watching her at the same time, of course).

And, our hotel has a hot tub.

And, there will be some great people there that I haven't seen in too long of a time.

And (yeah, I lied about the "and"), there is 100% chance of snow tonight (we'll be off the road before it starts), so what's more fun than bluegrass and bar-hopping and walking the streets of a snow-covered town with the one you love? Mmmmmm..... I can't think of anything right now. Okay, must shower. Damn, literally, as I typed that last sentence, I heard Evelyn bounce in her crib. I'd find a video of Trampled for you but don't have time so go Google!

3 comments:

  1. Bluegrass is a pretty recent discovery for me, but I'm finding I really enjoy it. I don't have too many artists that I know, but I love the Iron Horse tribute albums, and Elliot Brood is a pretty awesome 'blackgrass' (I guess that means bluegrass influences but a bit darker?) band.

    I love towns with active downtown cores and not a lot of corporatization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like your are going to have a good time in a place you love! Have fun, stay safe and above all, stay warm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a cozy little town!

    On the other hand, sometimes I really, really need some Starbucks... :)

    South Park did a funny one about that a while back, where a corporate coffee place comes in and is most likely going to put Tweak's parents (who run the local coffee place) out of business.

    I won't spoil the ending, though...

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.