“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Friday, August 3, 2012

conversations with Evelyn: wishes, the moon, and tea party toasts

Three treasures to share with you...

#1 Yesterday Evelyn and I were having dinner when I pulled an eyelash from her cheek and told her to make a wish. She closed her eyes and blew the eyelash off my finger.

I asked her if she made a wish and she said, "I think so," then, after a brief pause, "What do I make wishes with?"

I laughed, realizing she was thinking of wishes as a material thing, something to make with her hands, like an art project or a cake. I told her that you use your head and heart to make a wish. 

But my explanation was, of course, insufficient (she seems to think more and more of my explanations are insufficient. I give it six months before she comes to the very true conclusion that Mom doesn't know much of anything. Ha!). She persisted, "But how do I make wishes?"

I tried again: "You think of something you really really want."

"Oh, you mean like when you want to go somewhere?"

"Yes," I said. "Exactly like that."

#2 Later in the evening, after we came inside and started to get ready for bed, I was about to close the blinds in my room when Evelyn, from the hallway, gasps and says, "Look Mommy!"

"What?!" I said, startled by her sudden exclamation. 

"Look at the moon! It's yellow!"

And sure enough, there was the moon, full and golden above the silhouette of trees across the street, and to think I was just about to close the blinds without even seeing it, lost in thought like I am too much of the time. 

"Yes, it is yellow!" I said to Evelyn.

She clasped her hands in excitement and said, "Oh, it's so pretty!!"

And my heart did that melting thing it does whenever she says things that makes me feel like she'll be okay in the world... 

#3 This afternoon we were having a "tea party" (her play cups filled with water), and I asked, "What should we toast to--you feeling better?" (We've both been sick this week). 

And she said, "No...to the world!!"

Seriously, who is this girl?

Then she took a sip and said, "And to all your friends."

That means you!








3 comments:

  1. So darn cute! Don't you just love the innocent sense of wonderment she has! It's too bad that life tends to sweep all that away from them. Sad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. too cute! love the mind of kids :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.