“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Sunday, May 13, 2012

on the road...

Damn, it's a beautiful morning. I am such a sun junkie. For real.

Are you celebrating Mother's Day today? I am, and I wish I could describe my mother to you, but I really can't. Not accurately, anyway. She's incredible. Beautiful. I've always been in awe of her, and I still am. And even though I've known her my entire life, I still look at her with a sense of mystery and wonder. She is exotic, yet she is also my home. She's unconventional, yet practical, and a very strong woman. She's made endless sacrifices for her family and children (including moving across the Atlantic and leaving her home country of Germany), yet she also knows how to take care of herself, to do things for herself, to say no. She respects herself, and perhaps that is the greatest thing I've learned from her.

We're celebrating Mother's Day by having brunch with my parents, and then Evelyn and I will embark upon a five-hour car ride across Wisconsin, where we'll be meeting yet another wonderful mother, my dear friend Aubrey! We've been friends since the earliest days of college (so we know each other's pre-mommy selves very well, ha!), and, needless to say, it will be a great week. Photos to come.

This is me and Evelyn last night:


We know how to be sassy, too. This photo is basically saying, "Don't fuck with us." Though, Evelyn doesn't  know how to say that. I don't think.


And here is my mom and I, when I was about Evelyn's age (about 2 months older than she is now), circa 1990:


And with my brother (notice how I'm eyeing the toy he has. It was my Christmas gift. Making sure he doesn't slobber over it too much. Haha).


Be well.

2 comments:

  1. ah, your blog breathes new breaths of life into my soul. Such beauty..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the "Don't fuck with us." picture so much. And don't worry, I wouldn't dare.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.