“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Marguerite Duras {Writing}

"The solitude of writing is a solitude without which writing could not be produced, or would crumble, drained..."

"The person who writes books must always be enveloped by a separation from others. That is one kind of solitude. It is the solitude of the author, of writing. . . one must ask oneself what the silence surrounding one is--with practically every step one takes in a house, at every moment of the day, in every kind of light, whether light from outside or from lamps lit in daytime. This real, corporeal solitude becomes the inviolable silence of writing."

"There is a madness of writing that is in oneself, an insanity of writing, but that alone doesn't make the writer insane. On the contrary."

--from the essay "Writing" by Marguerite Duras, pub. 1993

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.