“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Friday, September 9, 2011

conversations with Evelyn (and a song)

Usually after I read Evelyn a bed-time story we spend a few minutes singing - she requests either "You are My Sunshine" or "Hallelujah" and she insists on singing her own rendition of "Happy Birthday" while I'm singing (you should hear us, it's fabulous). Tonight she decided to just let me sing, and I was really getting into it, and in the middle of a "hallelujah" she looked at me very concerned and said, "That's too loud."

Oh. Okay.

I wish I could sing this beautiful song to her. I'm not sure what she's singing but something about this makes me want to weep.

2 comments:

  1. This is very funny to me because whenever I sing songs with MY Evelyn, either in the car or at bedtime, she says the exact same thing. She's right though, I usually am too loud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last night was the first time she told me I was too loud. I'm sure it won't be the last time though :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.