“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I could never be Miss America

So why did they even send me an application form? Maybe they just send it to all female contacts between the ages of 17 and 24? It just made me laugh because one of the first things I read on the application that came in the mail was that in order to be an eligible contestant you cannot be pregnant, and you cannot ever have been pregnant.

Well damn, there goes that dream.

(I trust you know I'm kidding)


Although I am left wondering why exactly, that's even a requirement. Honestly, I am.

3 comments:

  1. I think person makes the rules not the other way around. If you truly wanted to I think you could do it and change history! (girl power). In all honesty I think that the rule is bull$hit too. I saw in your interests that you are interested in psychology and philosophy, well my blog is just that. I just wrote an article about men and woman and how people should try and focus on our similarities then our differences, I think you would like it! Here's the link, and thanks.
    http://therazorblade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. James - You bring up an excellent point. If I really wanted to (which I don't), I COULD fight to be Miss America, despite having a child. I like your thinking...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because a baby indicated that you may have at one point had *gasp* TEH SEX!

    And I'm pretty sure Miss America's (on paper) are supposed to be pure-as-the-driven-snow virginal vessels of utter propriety.

    Because, you know... that happens. (They only lose their crowns if they get CAUGHT.. *koff*VanessaWilliams*koff*

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.