- Afternoon slumps with decreased energy and concentration (check!)
- Increased appetite with weight gain (weight loss is more typical of other forms of depression) (half-check--my appetite increases but my weight does not and I think this is because I have a freakishly high metabolism, and a two-year-old)
- Increased sleep and excessive daytime sleepiness (problems sleeping are more typical of other forms of depression) (check!)
- Lack of energy and loss of interest in work or other activities (half-check....I usually don't lose interest in my work, except maybe during January, the coldest, shittiest month of the year)
- Slow, sluggish, lethargic movement (check!)
- Social withdrawal (um...I think I'm normally socially withdrawn, but only when I'm in the mood to be. In other words, my social withdrawal has nothing to do with SAD but with my personality)
- Unhappiness and irritability (check)
Wednesday I did a photo shoot and then was Evelyn's party, so I couldn't think about being tired (see, that's part of it, I need plenty of distractions), but then yesterday it was the same thing - a deep two hour nap in the middle of the afternoon.
And when I woke up this morning the first thing I said to Jason was, "The sun is shining," in a groggy, half-asleep stupor, but still thrilled. And it is now the middle of the afternoon, and I don't feel the need for a nap (yay!). I've already mowed the lawn (and picked up and stepped in dog shit), inflated and filled Evelyn's new pool, and I even felt so energetic that I decided to go beyond the easy spaghetti for tonight's dinner and took Evelyn to the store (and post office and bank) for ingredients for penne w/ ricotta and zucchini. And big organic strawberries for dessert. I'm even wearing a sundress and feel great!
Of course, I've never been clinically diagnosed with SAD (and probably won't be due to my strong aversion to clinics and such), but I swear the sun has got me under her spell..... I told you I was meant to be a California girl.... ;-)
I {am fully confident that I} have SAD too. Just the thought of winter around the corner, and I'm already moody, lethargic, want to lay in bed all day, no energy, blah blah blah. But I'll never get diagnosed either. Thank whoever or whatever that SUMMER is here!
ReplyDeleteI've got the cure! Take that nice camera and get outside with it! Nature is calling!
ReplyDeleteGreat advice, Pat :)
ReplyDeleteWell, I have all those symptoms sun or no sun :-)
ReplyDeleteSeriously, I love summer because of the sun. The sun makes me feel secure like I'm wrapped in a soothing blanket--it's hot but secure. Winter makes me physically hurt and I'm always depressed when there is no sun. Nature could call and call but I can't see it without some sunshine.
Linda, I agree - the sun is so soothing. Without my bones feel about 40 years older than they are.
ReplyDeleteWithout it*
ReplyDelete