“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Changing the World One Staple at a Time...

We've been having to do some rescheduling around the house here.... last week Evelyn was sick for a few days, so that threw things off. And now she's entering the "I am almost two and you can't make me nap and I'm gonna throw fits every time you try to make me do something MOM." And, she's been waking up at 7, no matter what time she goes to bed, which means my morning time to get work done is significantly cut short. She already had her first temper tantrum this morning, before we even made it down to breakfast (not sure what sparked it, I think maybe because I changed her diaper? Bad, bad mom....), so she is having "quiet time" with toys in her crib, and I am stealing these few minutes to do a quick post. Flexibility, patience, and positive thinking are the keys to living with a toddler. These things don't always come easy, but I'm getting much better! Plus, the sun is shining! And I think we're supposed to hit a high in the lower 50's. This makes me so happy. Really, the coming of spring, the birds and the grass and the sun, and thoughts of summer, it all fills me with such a light and happy feeling. January, February, and sometimes March, are my least favorite months, so April is always so welcome...

And, speaking of April, which is Earth Month, here is another so-simple thing we can do to help out dear Earth (again, from 1,001 Ways to Save the Earth):

#174 Staple diet:
If all the country's 75 million white-collar workers used one fewer staple each day, they'd make a daily saving of 5,500 lbs. of steel--that's about 900 tons a year. Scale down your staple habit, and use (and reuse) paper clips [or binders] instead.

And along with that, use less paper, and reuse paper. Buy recycled paper; print double-sided if your printer has that option; use misprints as note paper for grocery and to-do lists; and recycle or compost other paper you have no use for.

Okay, time to try and "restart" the day with little E. Hopefully we'll make it down to breakfast this time....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.