I would like to get rid of the homophobes, sexists, and racists in our audience. I know they’re out there and it really bothers me.And in the liner notes of the Incesticide album:
At this point I have a request for our fans. If any of you in any way hate homosexuals, people of different color, or women, please do this one favor for us – leave us the fuck alone! Don’t come to our shows and don’t buy our records.There are other quotes, too, from his journals, that touch on these issues (but I don't have time to look them up for accuracy right now). And here's an audio recording of Kurt himself:
And then there's a great quote about him from friend and bandmate Dave Grohl (whose arm I once touched!). This is via Judith from the blog About a Girl:
What do you think of when you think of Kurt? You think of a rock star that killed himself, because of this guilt of being a rock star. When I think of Kurt, I think of the way he giggled, or how he loved ABBA, or him saying to me, ‘God man, I wish I could wear sweatpants.’ He was a human being, a nice guy and, maybe it’s selective memory, but I don’t want to think of him as some brooding, suicidal genius. But I understand that’s what legends are made of.Above all he was a talented individual, and he fascinates me, still.
Yeah, there won't be another like him. I keep waiting for the next music revolution, but I'm afraid the music is dead. YouTube and instant fame has killed the need for people to actually be creative. No one feels angst because of instant self-esteem.
ReplyDeleteRafa - that's such an interesting perspective, and I think you're right - instant self-esteem is available everywhere it seems...
ReplyDeleteOh, i agree with Rafa, and it's true and beautiful what you wrote about Kurt, and remember that he is still here for his fans and his "legacy" will live trough the years.
ReplyDelete