“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath
Monday, February 21, 2011
Culture shock?
So I'm visiting my friend in Mississippi.... we are about 2 hours southeast of Jackson, I think, right outside of Hattiesburg. The windows are open, the weather is gorgeous (78 and partly cloudy) but..... there's no recycling service! There's about a thousand Baptist churches (which I expected), but no recycling. Big sad face for me. I've started a small stash of cardboard to bring home with me..... but to think about all that plastic and glass and aluminum.... wow. I'm not sure if most of Mississippi is like this. I'd hope not.
Labels:
Green,
Life,
Wtf is wrong with people?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
In this day and age that is very surprising! But then again, things are slow to change in the south...
ReplyDeleteI've heard stories about Mississippi being behind the curve with things like that.
ReplyDeleteI thought my little corner of Southeastern Tennessee was bad - they take #1 and #2 plastic at the recycling center, but not #5 (yogurt containers). Isn't it funny how it becomes a serious habit -- you CAN'T bring yourself to throw away something you'd normally recycle.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the warm, though ... that's why I moved down here and why I'll (probably) stay.
Vol-E - our local centers also only take #1 and 2. I try to find various uses for yogurt containers - Evelyn's bath toys, tupperware-like storage, sandbox toys, and seedling planters in the spring.
ReplyDeleteThe warm weather is great though :)