“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Saturday's Quote: Bukowski

This is my Facebook status right now, which I stole from a friend I went to college with, who is very awesome [are you reading this, K?.... ;)]
"We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."
-Charles Bukowski

5 comments:

  1. Just going to mention, now I have Modest Mouse's "Bukowski" in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i read you like tomorrow's news :) I'd really love to get the part starting at "We are here to laugh..." to the end tattooed somewhere, but I'm not quite sure where.


    (i'm really close to getting free reign of the NARAL blog soon, so i'll link you as soon as i'm able!)

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. To paraphrase Groucho - I wouldn't worship a god that would have me as a worshipper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great quote!
    I forget where I heard (or read) it, but someone once said of Bukowski...
    "He didn't hate his life, he hated yours for you."

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.