“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Sunday, January 2, 2011

"What do you do to encourage your passion?"

At the end of a great lecture I attended yesterday afternoon, the speaker asked us to take a few minutes to free-write an answer to a question we picked up on the way in. Since my brain is a bit too fuddled to share anything deeply intellectual, and I definitely haven't looked at a political headline in about a weeks (although, I did meet another writer from Minneapolis and we had an extensive conversation about how terrible Michelle Bachmann is), I'll do something different and share this with you. My question:

What do you do to encourage your passion?

(here, passion refers to "writing")

My answer:

I read read read like a madwoman / I read Richard Brautigan and think about California in the 1960's / about Minnesota now / about Germany where and when my mother was born / where and when I was born / I read and then I write in journals made of recycled paper / I read and then I write in the office that I painted tea-chest brown / and in the next room she's still sleeping on her belly in her crib in her purple, footed pajamas that say "angel" and she sighs and I listen.

5 comments:

  1. It's funny, you're the third person I've communicated with today on passion. Something must be in the water.

    Oh yeah, Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A question we should all ask ourselves! I enjoy looking at other blogs on all kinds of topics . . . Some can be quite inspiring and entertaining . . . And yes, our dear Michelle B is a piece of work . . . HNY Sarah!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I admit that my judgement may be somewhat clouded by your Brautigan reference, I really liked your response! I LOVED it when my kids wore, and my grandkids wear those footed pj's....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you read Freedom yet? I think you'd like it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.