“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Monday, January 10, 2011

Favorite New Poet: Matthew Dickman

Here is a video of Matthew Dickman reading his poem "Slow Dance." I just discovered his work, and him - he is one of the two new poetry faculty at the Vermont College of Fine Arts. I am not working with him this semester, but I definitely hope to in the future (chances are that I will). I feel so lucky to be able to be among such talented writers - Matthew and others, as well. I've never been in such close relation to the writers of work that I love - I mean, I get to eat lunch with these people! Hang out with them, with drinks in hand and music in the background - and go to their amazing readings and brilliant lectures, of course. Life is good :)

4 comments:

  1. It's great working with people you admire professionally. I still get "star struck" when I go to physics conferences and see folks walking about whose books and papers I've studied.

    On the other hand, it's important to remember that everybody poops. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the video, it was really good!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.