
What I mean by the title is not so much limiting alcohol intake (unless one is driving, of course), but finding products that are environmentally responsible (yay!). Basically, I want to share with you this vodka I just discovered (like three hours ago at the liquor store in town). Now, I haven't purchased vodka since, probably, my freshman (woman!) year of college (wow, I apologize for the parentheses!), but I just got this great drink recipe book, and I was inspired to try something new. So off to the liquor store I went, and I decided on Prairie Organic Vodka, which was produced and bottled right here in Minnesota. Finding organic and local products is super exciting (whether it be food or drink or clothes, whatever), because not only is the product organic, but it also took very little energy to ship it from its original location to the store.
Besides being USDA-certified organic, here are some other great points on the label:
"Hand-crafted in Benson, Minnesota, from organic yellow #2 corn, grown by three family farms near the distillery."
"100% free of chemical fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides."
"To fire the stills, we generate our own energy by gasifying wood chips and corncobs."
"Respect for people, communities, and environment are hallmarks of our fifth-generation family business."
And the price? Well, I could have bought a bottle of Smirnoff's for almost half the price, but the environmentally friendly values of this company are something I am willing to pay a little extra for (although I'm not sure if "gasifying" is a word, but I guess I'll let it slide...)
Happy Saturday night!
It is.. third year of university I took an environmental science course for my science credits (it seemed like the second-least sciencey course after History of Science, which I of course, couldn't take twice) and our group project was on incineration as a means of waste disposal as well as a means of energy production, gasification is one of those processes... basically capturing the heat and steam and such released from a clean incineration process and converting it to a means of energy
ReplyDeleteHa, thanks for the info! I wasn't sure because spell-check was telling me it wasn't, but I'm thinking spell-check needs to get up to date!
ReplyDeleteThe big questions, of course, are taste, and how bad was the hangover?
ReplyDeletehaha, well: the taste was much better than any plastic-bottled vodka I ever bought in college. And I didn't drink enough to be hungover. But I did drink some and am still up at 6:30 ready to read and write. On a Sunday.
ReplyDelete...
I've been up all night drinking vodka myself. Sweet Carolina Sweet Tea Flavored Vodka, bottled in Lewiston, Maine. If, perchance, you find yourself in Maine someday, and see this in a store, do NOT get it. Nasty stuff, but only $12 a bottle. I will have a hangover.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing. Sweet Carolina Sweet Tea? Sounds iffy.... haha.
ReplyDelete