“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Atheism on Prime-Time Television

The only show that J and I keep up with on a weekly basis is House. We started getting really into it when I was pregnant and we didn't have much else to do (actually, to be more accurate, I was big and tired and didn't want to do anything!). Now we watch the new episodes on Hulu once a week - we can't watch when it's really on on Mondays at 7 because Evelyn is till awake and we only have a TV in our bedroom and Evelyn is not allowed to watch TV and yada yada yada.

Anyway, last night's episode featured a patient who was severely deluded and believed that crucifying himself would cure his daughter's cancer. He'd made a deal with God, of course. Well, his daughter's cancer went away (after she was treated with chemo), but now he was sick and going to die if he didn't let the doctors treat him. I'll save the rest in case you want to watch it (click here), but Dr. House, an atheist, made some great comments to the patient, which were undoubtedly the highlight of the episode. My favorites:

When asked if he believes in God, House responds with, "I did. Then I grew my curly hairs."

"Causal determinism: we are hard-wired to find answers. A caveman who heard a rustle in the bushes and checked to see what it was lived longer than the guy who assumed it was just a breeze. The problem is, when we don't find a logical answer, we settle for a stupid one. Ritual is what happens when we run out of rational."

"There is no God."

The actor who plays House is Hugh Laurie, an atheist, and also an executive producer of the show. I wonder if he just inserted his own thoughts into the script. Pretty cool.

I thought Evelyn was going to nap but after bouncing around in her crib forever she is now yelling for me. Crabby toddler, here I come.

4 comments:

  1. An atheist leading character! That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure how I not only missed, but never about that episode! That is awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  3. what is your interpretation of that part where he says A caveman who heard a rustle in the bushes and checked to see what it was lived longer than the guy who assumed it was just a breeze.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.