And by worst I mean incredibly insulting, insensitive, and bigoted. Just a few hours ago, we were stopped behind a pick-up truck at a red light. The bumper sticker was at the top center of the tailgate, and it was partly covered in snow, so at first we couldn't make it out:
J: "What does that say?"
Me: "Something something something apologize for rap music."
J: "I'll apologize for something something . . . "
Me: "I'll apologize for country music?" (most rap and country are equally terrible. You know, the pop stuff).
J: "Oh man!"
Me: "What? What does it say?!" (I get really excited to read bumper stickers).
J: "It says, 'I'll apologize for slavery when you apologize for rap music.'"
No fucking lie. Around here, there's plenty of sexism and "conservative family values" (the fancy term for anti-gay rights), and all sorts of anti-progressiveness (the fancy term for religious fanaticism), but in the over 11 years that I've lived in Minnesota, I have never witnessed something so racist. And you know I keep an eye out for these things. Not that Minnesota is immune to racism or something, because I am sure it's more prominent than I would like to believe, but it is not very common to see out in the open like that. Gah. Terrible.
Wow. Just wow.
ReplyDeleteWorking out of a taxi garage, I often see bigotry, usually homophobia, but also racism and sexism. I see it from my passengers and see it on the streets (how come whenever I see someone pulled over by an unmarked cop car, they are almost always black or Hispanic?)
ReplyDeleteI'm afraid that I've become inured to all of this hate. I am rarely shocked or surprised anymore. I am often saddened though.
makes me sick... :(
ReplyDeleteWTF is wrong with people?!
ReplyDeleteThat is pretty stupid sticker. It could also get the guy in a pretty bad situation if the wrong person saw it...
ReplyDelete