"We've been doing this for six years now and we got beat out by the same guy for the last six years," said Lorie Davenport. "So this year, we said, this might be our last year, it might be our last hurrah, so we're coming extra early if we have to because we are gonna be first if it kills us."
Now that is extreme. They must really really want or need something that's really really cool, right? You would think . . . however:
Although the couple say they're not sure what they'll buy when the doors open at 5 a.m. next Friday, they are hoping for a good deal on a large-screen TV or perhaps something from the Apple Mac line.
To me, that's the worst part: they don't even know what they are standing in line for, and I don't think they even care that much, as long as they get a good deal on something. I have an image of that Honeycombs cereal mascot - that spazzed furry thing that jumps around saying "Me want honeycomb! Me want honeycomb!" That's how I imagine these people: "Me want
good deal! Me want good deal!" Insanity!I am not going to any store on Black Friday because I can't stand large crowds of insanity (large crowds at an amazing concert - different story). The good deals just aren't worth it, and I don't want stuff just because it's a good deal. Even if I did go, I'd never get a deal on anything I want because I would never camp out, so I'd get to the store when the shelves are half-empty, and I'm not pushy enough to get to the shelf first.
I'll end it with quotes from my latest obsession, Fight Club (the film - I have yet to read the book):

"You buy furniture. You tell yourself, this is the last sofa I will ever need in my life. Buy the sofa, then for a couple years you're satisfied that no matter what goes wrong, at least you've got your sofa issue handled. Then the right set of dishes. Then the perfect bed. The drapes. The rug. Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you."
"We're consumers. We are by-products of a lifestyle obsession. Murder, crime, poverty, these things don't concern me. What concerns me are celebrity magazines, television with 500 channels, some guy's name on my underwear. Rogaine, Viagra, Olestra. "
"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler."
Happy Saturday! (I almost typed Friday, not because I was thinking about Black Friday, but because I honestly thought it was Friday. I do this a lot.)
Sarah, I thought you were cool before but this post has bumped you up to friggin' awesome.
ReplyDeleteI can't stand consumption for the sake of consumption. And it's true, that quote, the more stuff you own, the more trapped in your position you are. When you really sit back and look at the things you 'need' they're very very few. My house caught fire a few years back, and I had exactly two possessions I would have been devastated had I lost - My photos and my guitar. Nothing else mattered, it's all replaceable.. or mere excess, and we don't realize our burden until we are released from it.
I've often thought of what I would want to save if my house ever caught fire, and it's always only the things that are non-replaceable: photos, my journals, and my computer/hard drive since that's where a lot of photos and just about all my writing stuff is. I don't want to be owned by my things. Life without lots of things is still life. But lots of things without life - just lots of things. Dust collectors.
ReplyDeleteWow, two days in line, and they don't even know what they want. That's an obsession. Of course, not all obsessions are bad, such as your thing for "Fight Club." Damn good movie.
ReplyDeleteI saw fight Club 5 times in the theater when it came out.
ReplyDelete"You work jobs you hate to buy shit you don't need." - Tyler
Wait, I think that last comment implied I am old.
ReplyDeleteHa - I wish I could see Fight Club five times in the theater.
ReplyDeleteJohann - not two days in line, but a week and two days! They have been in line since last Wednesday - flippin' nuts!
I blame the news for most of it. Actually, I blame them for just about everything. They get people worked up into a lather to buy itesm they made popular in the first place.
ReplyDeleteI've really been trying to minimize what I would need to get out of my house.
I've scanned every photo and family document and have copies of it all on my laptop and in my box at the bank.
I've got most of my books on Kindle now (backed up on my laptop)
I've also got almost a life worth of albums and cds on my IPod.
Just grab the cats and I'm good. (I think)
I hate having too much stuff...
You know, I think I read it correctly originally, but by the time I wrote the comment, my memory changed. Probably because waiting in line for over a week is just too insane. Really, it's kinda unbelievable.
ReplyDeleteWell, according to the article, they do have a family that they switch places with at night. But it's still kinda unbelievable.
ReplyDelete