"We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because there are never going to be born. The number of people who could be here in my place outnumber the sand grains of the Sahara. If you think about all the different ways in which our genes could be computed, you and I are quite grotesquely lucky to be here . . . the number of events that had to happen in order for you to exist, in order for me to exist . . . we are privileged to be alive, and we should make the most of our time on this world."
“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath
Saturday, September 4, 2010
Saturday's Quote: Dawkins
Long quote today, but one of my ultimate favorites. This is from the ending of the documentary The Virus of Faith. When I first read this quote, I had one of those aha! moments, where someone else says what I've always thought but was not able to find such eloquent phrasing for.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.