“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Friday, June 18, 2010

Bonus Poem: This is Just to Say

Busy busy week here, so I haven't had much time to devote to posting. But here is a bonus poem for this week: "This is Just to Say" by William Carlos Williams. I feel like everyone knows this poem, but maybe that is just everyone who studies English....? Writing imitations of this poem is a great way to dip your toe into poetry writing, if you've never done so before.

This is Just to Say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

1 comment:

  1. That's a lot better than my, "Tough luck," response when I eat the ice cream.

    http://laughinginpurgatory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.