“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

oh June


Last June was filled with excitement, anxiety, mystery, sunshine, and lots of sitting around and eating! So as the month of Evelyn's first birthday approaches, I can't help but reminisce about all those giddy feelings. I just remember wearing dresses that were actually long skirts I bought at the thrift store, and my hair was long, and I would sit in the sun and watch Jason work on the garden. At night we would watch TV but I would usually fall asleep. Spring semester of 2009 was the most challenging of my undergraduate career, and I told myself that after finals were done, I would go home and just relax. And I did, and it was wonderful.

And now, a year has already gone by, and I am planning my munchkin's first birthday party! We are just having a small family get together at our house, but wow-her first birthday party?! When did she get so big (right now I'm imagining her arms raised in the air and smiling, when I ask "How big is Evelyn? Sooooo big!"). Anyway, as with any gathering, I am concerned with how much waste can be generated--paper and plastic plates, napkins, utensils, cups, wrapping paper, toy packaging, etc. So of course I am taking careful steps to create the most environmentally-friendly birthday party that I can, because a healthy earth is a human right, and really, what kind of hypocritical parents would we be if we taught Evelyn all about saving the Earth but made exceptions when it was more convenient and allowed her first birthday--which she will see when she watches the video--to generate unnecessary waste?

I found a great website as a resource for my planning--PBS Parents' "How to Throw a Green Birthday Party." It has tons of fun, creative, eco-friendly ideas for anyone interested in planning a birthday party, and while it's aimed more at kids' parties, the ideas can easily be adapted to adult parties.

I think Evelyn realizes she is almost 1, and she thinks she is getting too big for her morning nap. We have been battling--I thought she was sleeping, but now I hear her babbling in her crib. She is probably standing up, which she just figured out how to do. I understand she is so excited to be exploring the world, but if she doesn't have her morning nap, she turns into a crabby patty! And sleep is so important for her little brain. What's a parent to do?
The other day, I changed her after her nap, and I found part of an animal cracker in her belly button. Honestly, since June 2009, I have not once been bored.

1 comment:

  1. my favorite part of this post? "I think Evelyn realizes she is almost 1, and she thinks she is getting too big for her morning nap. We have been battling" :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.