“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Living Green Expo

The other weekend, Jason and I went to the 8th annual Living Green Expo in St. Paul. We walked away feeling refreshed--being surrounded by people who simply get it is, well, cool! The expo was packed with tons of information on virtually everything "green": organic food, solar and wind power, alternative transportation, sustainability, recycling, composting, farming, etc., etc., etc. We left having made the switch to cloth diapers, along with an order for a composting bin.

Did you know? "An average child will use between 8,000 -10,000 disposable diapers ($2,000 worth) before being potty trained. Each year, parents and babysitters dispose of about 18 billion of these items. In the United States alone these single-use items consume nearly 100,000 tons of plastic and 800,000 tons of tree pulp. We will pay an average of $350 million annually to deal with their disposal and, to top it off, these diapers will still be in the landfill 300 years from now. Americans throw away 570 diapers per second. That's 49 million diapers per day" (Clean Air Council).

Also, we picked up lots of free literature on green living. I haven't had time to go through it yet (I graduated from WSU last week, by the way!), but I will soon, and when I do, I plan on posting interesting info that I come across. Which, I assume, will be quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.