p.s. I notice that when I post YouTube videos, the whole screen doesn't appear on my blog. Until I figure out how to fix this, you can right-click and "Watch on YouTube."
“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath
Saturday, May 29, 2010
Introvert Goes to Party
Jason and I are going to a surprise birthday party tonight. Do you know how long it's been since I've gone to a party? A more-than-five-person-non-family party? Honestly, I don't even know how long it's been. I am afraid my partying social skills have been dormant for so long that I won't know what to do. And I say this humorously, because I really am interested--mostly for entertainment and partly for analysis--to see what a more-than-five-person-non-family party is like these days. And by "these days," I don't mean culturally or societally, but personally. You have to understand that it's not just that I haven't been to a party in a couple of years, but the last time I did go to a party, I was childless, houseless, degree-less, etc. Much has changed in recent years. So what am I like at a party these days? Of course, it depends on the type of party--if I was going to a party where a live bluegrass band was playing, or a party with my college friends, I would know exactly what to do. What do I do at a party where the majority of guests are people I've never met or people I've been acquainted with but not friends with? Talk to them? About what? See, this is where it gets complicated for me, because I am awful at small talk, and I would really rather not talk at all than small talk. Maybe I'll find someone to big talk with--ha! That someone will probably be Jason--my parter in introversion. We're definitely more concert people than party people. And on that note, I will leave you with "Soft" by Kings of Leon: an awesome danceable song by an amazing band that I have yet to see live!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Since I started writing (about 7 years ago) my interest in people has grown. I feel like other people offer a window into totally different worlds.
ReplyDeletehttp://laughinginpurgatory.blogspot.com/