“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

writer's block

For the first time this semester I've had true, hardcore writer's block. I thought this was something I'd outgrown, but maybe it's one of those things that plagues all writers for all of time... and by writer's block I mean that everything I try to write just doesn't work. For some reason I can't access the part of my brain that I need... maybe I've been watching too much television. Maybe it's the weather. I always blame things on the weather. Oh! Maybe it's my spider bite! Lately I'm blaming everything on my spider bite. Sore throat? Spider bite. Stiff neck? Spider bite. Feeling tired? Spider bite. Can't write a damn thing? Must be the spider bite!

Here's a quote I saw on Facebook that I love:

“Literature says nothing to those human beings who are satisfied with their lot, who are content with life as they now live it. Literature is the food of the rebellious spirit, the promulgator of nonconformities, the refuge for those who have too much or too little in life. One seeks sanctuary in literature so as not to be unhappy and so as not to be incomplete…to divest ourselves of the wrongs and the impositions of this unjust life, a life that forces us always to be the same person when we wish to be many different people, so as to satisfy the many desires that possess us. Literature pacifies this vital dissatisfaction only momentarily - but in this miraculous instant, in this provisional suspension of life, literary illusion lifts and transports us outside of history, and we become citizens of a timeless land, and in this way immortal.” - Mario Vargas Llosa

Hope your day is less frustrating than mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.