“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Thursday, May 31, 2012

photo diary: ANIMALS! and ice cream!

Today we took Evelyn to the zoo, which she really loved, of course. And so did her parents! We thought going on a weekday would be a good day since it'd hopefully be less crowded.

Wrong.

We pulled up towards the parking lots and saw about 500 yellow school buses. Must have been field trip day or something, because the park was crawling with kids. Screaming kids. Screaming, obnoxious, rude kids. And smelly. Seriously, don't their parents bathe them? Despite the massive crowds I managed to keep my anxiety level in check, Evelyn loved seeing all the animals, and it was fun to take photos of something other than people for a change.

The zoo also has a small amusement park, as well as an historic carousel--built in 1914! Incredible! Imagine all the different kinds of people that have been on this thing... all the different eras, the clothes, the time, the culture... I bet it was a penny a ride back in the day. And the thing is beautiful. All the horses are hand-carved from wood, and while they've re-varnished the horses over the years, they've tried to keep as much of the original paint and everything as they could. Really, really cool. Riding it was enchanting; I forgot about everything.

Oh, and we stopped for ice cream on the way home (which served as dinner since we had a late lunch at THE WORST Olive Garden ever. Seriously. The food wasn't terrible but wow, what a place. More on that later).

Photos! Lots and lots!

baby monkey swinging over to give his mama a kiss. monkeys are so cool! (click photo to enlarge)
people watching... 
she's an intense ice cream eater! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.