“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

home

I've grown to believe that I can make a home almost anywhere, as long as I have the means to make it my own. While I was growing up my dad was in the Army, so we moved a lot, and while I wasn't always happy about it, now I'm so thankful for all of those experiences and opportunities to grow. I've made homes in many places, and while they've all been different, they've all been mine. Meaning, I've felt comfortable, "at home," in all of them. I think moving a lot has taught me firsthand that, yes, the world can be a scary place (especially when you're the awkward new kid in 4th grade!), but the more you experience the world the less scary it becomes. Or maybe it becomes more scary, but somehow you're able to venture further into it on your own... As an adult, I'm addicted to exploring new places, big and small. I have this mental image of myself standing on a map of the world, and there is so much unexplored territory, but every time I venture somewhere new my map becomes a little more colorful, and I become a bit brighter, more alive.

At the same time, I love making my home a home. Some snapshots from now.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.