“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath
Sunday, March 11, 2012
astound yourself
My friend Azia gave me this magnet. It's on my fridge, holding up a photo of my mom and brother in mid-embrace at my brother's basic training graduation last month in Fort Benning, Georgia. My dad took the photo. My dad who was also in the Army, for over 20 years. While the military is something my sensitive soul could never endure (I can barely endure the thought of my brother's deployment some time later this year), we were basically raised with the Army motto, "Be All You Can Be." I was told that I could do virtually anything I wanted as long as I was willing to work for it. All through my childhood I believed it.
Today I still believe it. And it makes me happy, keeps me going. It's what I hold on to at the end of the day.
Thanks, Dad.
Back to digging myself out of the philosophical psycho-sociological mess I've made of my critical thesis... Yikes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.