“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Sunday, January 22, 2012

from the college diaries

I know I've been posting a shit ton in the past few days but that's because I've been doing a lot of reading and poem revising and for the past 23 hours I've had the house to myself, which WOW, opens up a river of thoughts. Mainly I've been cultivating thoughts for my critical thesis, but also exploring new photographers and just thinking a lot, I guess. And I've been writing a lot in my journal, which led me to thinking about writing in my journal, which lead me to thinking about all the journals I've ever filled, which led to a very insightful and entertaining past 45 minutes or so.

The particular journal I've lost myself in is from 2007/2008, i.e. my sophomore year of college at Winona State, i.e. the year before Evelyn. It's funny, to read things I would have never remembered thinking. A lot of it is random scribbling, fleeting thoughts and ideas, like most of my journal writing is. And some of it cracks me up! Like this:

Tuesday, October 2nd, 2007, 8:41 p.m.

Is it a good sign if my own poems make me want to cry?


Today at dinner I looked around and realized I was the only person in the cafeteria sitting by myself. And at this I was thrilled. People often bore me to talk to, but to watch them I could do for quite some time. 


This just makes me laugh because it's so honest and still somewhat true. Sometimes.

I found other fragments that were much more somber, like this:

Tuesday, October 9th, 2001, 10:56 a.m.

Thoughts I had during class/things people said that made me think:


"Something terrible always happens"
"[Poetry] or [literature] is the most fun you can have with your clothes on." --Dr. Armstrong


Sometimes, I just get so upset with myself. And suddenly I question everything I have done, everything I believe in. 


Am I wrong? 
The most frustrating part is that no one can answer this question, and maybe this is why people read the Bible and believe in God.
?


Maybe I'm boring you with all of this but it's so interesting to me to revisit my old thoughts. Just a few more:

Tuesday, October 16th, 2007, 7:52 p.m.


"Beauty fades" -- if you agree with this you are looking at the wrong kind of beauty.


I skim through pages of "Ideas to Write About" and "The Poet's Companion" but I can never find anything that strikes me as interesting. 
I re-read everything I've ever written, but none of that strikes me as interesting either. 


Why do some people walk like they have a load of shit in their pants while others walk like they have a cracker up their ass they don't want to crack?


HA! I'm still laughing out loud at that last part. I wonder what led me to think that. Last one for now:

Monday, October 22, 2007, sometime during class


Is there any symbolism in the fact that, in a classroom of 50, I am using a wooden pencil and every other person has a mechanical one, or yet, a LAPTOP? 
I pick up my blue plastic sharpener and feel bizarre gratification as I twist my dixon ticonderoga until the tip is smooth and sharp. 

3 comments:

  1. Dude, I was sharpening a pencil earlier when I was working on my painting and I marveled at the thought that Eva will probably never use one! That she will use a mechanical pencil and look upon a "normal" pencil as something so bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this post...what was going on in the mind of my best friend at such an interesting time in our lives. Bravo! I feel like I could add a few more thoughts we would have had to this post. None of which would be as deep or even appropriate to share publicly. HA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LIZ! We could write a book, I'm sure :) More to come!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.