I could spend the rest of my life listing the things I am thankful for, but one thing I am especially thankful for is the opportunity to talk to my younger brother last night, who recently joined the Army and is currently in basic training in Georgia. He only gets phone time here and there and I hadn't been able to speak to him since he left in October, but last night he called my parents' house and I was the one to answer. It was so great to hear his voice...it's already changed.
Of course I'm thankful for my family, small yet full; for Jason, without whom I might be clinically insane (I'm kidding. I think). For the many beautiful people in my life, even though many of them live in other states far away. For VCFA, and for poetry, a bit of which I'll leave you with:
Of course I'm thankful for my family, small yet full; for Jason, without whom I might be clinically insane (I'm kidding. I think). For the many beautiful people in my life, even though many of them live in other states far away. For VCFA, and for poetry, a bit of which I'll leave you with:
...................I want to thank
watermelon in the summer
and Hitchcock movies in the winter,
especially his film Rebecca
because now my brother and I say
you can never go back
to Mandalay but really we mean
I miss you, you live so far away. Thanks
to coffee beans and coffee, the warm
smell of steamed milk and people putting
cappuccinos to their mouths
so that there is a moment
like lovemaking when their mouths are covered in cream.
--from Matthew Dickman's "Thanksgiving Poem," All-American Poem, 2008







Beautiful photos (per your usual!)
ReplyDeleteHappy Thanksgiving, lovely lady. I'm quite thankful for you as well. Your blogspot takes me to a quiet, peaceful place. xoxo
Ahhhhh!!! I just made a painting with the lines, "thanks to coffee beans.." until the end line you posted!!! That's the best part of the poem!!
ReplyDeleteJS--thank you! That means a lot.
ReplyDeleteAzia--Totally the best part! I wanna see your painting!