“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Buy Postcards to Honor Spirit Day! {love conquers hate}

The Human Rights Campaign has declared today, October 20th, to be Spirit Day - a day to recognize the importance of standing up against bullying because "every student should feel supported and safe." Each year millions of students are bullied -- millions! The amount is unfathomable to me. It breaks my heart. And although the Human Rights Campaign works mainly in the realm of LGBT rights (read about HRC's many awesome victories here), the organization has explicitly stated that Spirit Day is a stand against bullying for every student. And it's such a shame but I think too often things like this are misrepresented as people valuing LGBT rights or lives more than the rights or lives of others. And I'm sure there are many people who won't support Spirit Day, who won't be wearing purple today solely because it's hosted by the HRC, despite the fact that it's a stand against bullying for all students, a stand for equality for all. That's what politics does to us -- divides, divides, divides.... 

But anyway, the HRC asks people to wear purple today to show their support (purple happens to be my favorite color, so I'm double-excited to get dressed today). And so I thought it'd also be a good time to introduce to you my new line of custom-designed postcards which feature all of my own original photography and are all inspired by that hazy purple hue that I love (and of course they're printed on high-quality, sustainably-sourced and acid-free stock). 

These postcards can be purchased at 3 for $15 or 5 for $20, and I'll donate all proceeds to the Human Rights Campaign to help them in their continued work against bullying and for equality. 

If you'd like to help out please leave a comment or send me an email: sacerta@gmail.com. And please, share this with your friends, on Facebook, a link on your blog, etc., and do what you can to encourage support! Not only will you be supporting human rights, but you'll also get some rockin' post cards (the watermark won't be on the actual card - that's just so people don't steal). 



1 comment:

  1. I think this is an awesome idea!!! Keep up the good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.