“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Friday, September 2, 2011

by the light of the moon {and so many other wonderful things}

I have so much I want to write about this morning but don't have time for it all, and I don't think it would be good to throw everything into one post. It would hurt your brain, and you would stop reading halfway through. BUT, the first thing is that today I have the wonderful opportunity to be a second photographer for a downtown Minneapolis wedding. A dear friend, also named Sarah--check out her blog/website, who I went to Winona with, has asked me to be her second photographer this afternoon, which includes being in the balcony of the church during the ceremony, as well as getting the detail shots at the reception (I guess the bride made the centerpieces and a lot of the other decorations herself, so it's very important that I get these), and I'm free to take candid shots as guests arrive for cocktail hour, etc. I AM SO EXCITED. The reception is on the 14th floor of the Millenium Hotel -- see photos here. This is a big deal people.

So that's one thing. And the other thing (of many) that I'll share with you this morning is a new love I've discovered - making photos in the evening/night with a super slow shutter speed, high aperture (this just means the camera is as open as it can be to let in the most light that it can), to create a super cool, somewhat haunting effect. It all started last night in the car when Evelyn wanted me to take a picture of the moon. I forgot that I had my camera on the aperture setting, and that's how I discovered this....

the stream of light in the middle is the moon. 

the sky has morphed into ocean...

dance


I have tons more where these came from, and have figured out how to "draw" with the light, i.e. I can give the light a predetermined direction depending on how I hold/move the camera right before and as I take the picture. I AM OBSESSED. They look cool enough on the screen, but imagine these as prints, large prints, in unique thrift store/vintage frames....imagine them with specific titles, or one-sentence poems accompanying each one....imagine them as a collection....imagine them with a person somewhat visible in them....

When I'm inspired by something my brain just races with ideas. It can't slow down!

I posted more featuring the moon here.

Happy Friday, happy day....

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for grabbing one of my buttons! I'll link to you in my blogroll as well :)

    Gabby
    http://stardependentvintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.