“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath
Saturday, August 27, 2011
smells like teen spirit
Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" hit US airwaves for the first time 20 years ago today. At that time I was still in Germany, age 3.5. Clearly, I was a generation too late.
I don't feel so bad about getting into Nirvana roughly 6 months before Kurts untimely departure.
I can relate to the 'generation too late' thing though. I'm always discovering bands either after they've broken up (sometimes years after.. hello, The Pixies) or just before they break up, or jump the shark (Hello, Guns N Roses 'the Spagetti Incident?'
In other news, I'm feeling pretty damn old. 20 years? I was in sixth grade when a classmate referred to something by saying 'Oh yeah, that sounds like "Smells Like Teen Spirit"' and I could NOT wrap my head around the fact that she was NOT talking about the deodorant.
I don't feel so bad about getting into Nirvana roughly 6 months before Kurts untimely departure.
ReplyDeleteI can relate to the 'generation too late' thing though. I'm always discovering bands either after they've broken up (sometimes years after.. hello, The Pixies) or just before they break up, or jump the shark (Hello, Guns N Roses 'the Spagetti Incident?'
In other news, I'm feeling pretty damn old. 20 years? I was in sixth grade when a classmate referred to something by saying 'Oh yeah, that sounds like "Smells Like Teen Spirit"' and I could NOT wrap my head around the fact that she was NOT talking about the deodorant.
ReplyDeleteYes, the Pixies are one of my other favorites, and I didn't discover them until I was a sophomore. In college. That was four years ago.
ReplyDeleteNo matter, that song will be timeless... We can all enjoy it!
ReplyDelete