“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Monday, May 30, 2011

He (or she) who dies with the most toys.....

Whenever I'm on the road and traveling, I love reading sings, all kinds of signs--storefronts, city signs, billboards, license plates, bumper stickers, etc. And I love to remember my favorites and record them. From the road trip to and from Chicago this weekend, here are my top three favorite signs:

1. License Plate:

"Nirvana" -- not sure if the owner of this vehicle is referring to the band, Buddhism, or something else, but my obsession with Kurt Cobain lands this license plate in the top three signs.

2. Bumper Sticker:

"Question Reality" -- well, do it.

3. The best sign I saw the whole weekend was (surprisingly, for me) in the front of a church, and it's too bad I can't remember the denomination of the church, but I remember the phrase word for word because it's the best phrase I've ever seen on a church sign, and if you can ignore, for a moment, the exclusively male pronoun, the message is a good one, and one that actually reminds me of my favorite movie, Fight Club ("you're not your fucking khakis..." & "the things you used to own, now they own you...."). Here it is:

"He who dies with the most toys
is still dead."

2 comments:

  1. "He who dies with the most toys is still dead."

    Damn! Why am I just now finding this out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say whoever got the Nirvana plate was lucky indeed. Only one in each state exactly like that. That is, if they have vanity plates in all states. One of my daughters used to have bumper sticker on her car that said "Regime Change Starts At Home!"

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.