“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

International Women's Day

Hi. I write this with tired eyes, and an even more tired brain. Evelyn and I are both getting over a cold, so the past couple days have been lethargic... I have been able to put some time into my school work, at least, but that's about it. I'm just. so. tired. But, I have to post something, because today is International Women's Day, "a global day celebrating the economic, political and social achievements of women past, present and future. In some places like China, Russia, Vietnam and Bulgaria, International Women's Day is a national holiday."

The official website has some great information, resources, and more, including women's art and stories.

I think it's definitely important to take time to recognize the achievements of the women's movements (which men are a part of and affected by!) in our own country and throughout the world, especially at a time when women's rights, especially in our own country, are being threatened more and more. And for more on that, see this article: International Women's Day: Hold the Champagne.

Thanks for making it through my terribly written and uncreative post. I'm off to eat a pretzel with cheese and crawl into bed to watch House with J, and maybe The Office too.

2 comments:

  1. Check out this post I wrote for the ONE Campus Tumblr: http://onecampus.tumblr.com/post/3744048244/its-a-twitter-party

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kara! I like it - you've got some interesting facts there.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.