The Human Rights Campaign has put together a 2011 guide for buying from companies that support LGBT equality in the workplace. Companies receive a score 0-100, 100 being the best, "based on whether or not they have policies that support LGBT employees. These include anti-discrimination protections, domestic partner benefits, diversity training and transgender-inclusive benefits" (read more FAQs).
This is pretty cool, because whenever I buy something I wonder what ideologies I am supporting by supporting that company. The next step is to cross the Buying for Workplace Equality Guide with a Buying for the Environment Guide to get the Ultimate Buying for a Better World Guide (of course, there are other guides that I can think of that should be tossed in there, too).
And, on a somewhat related note, the Environmental Working Group has guides not so much based on company policies but on produce and products that are safer for you:
Shopper's Guide to Safe Cosmetics (this is more than makeup)
Shopper's Guide to Pesticides
No, I don't go around the store with all these guides falling out of my purse. But maybe I should.
Now that I've sufficiently procrastinated writing my paper, I should go, write that paper. Now.
EDIT: I've taken a quick break from my paper and thought of an important fact that would be a part of the Buying for a Better World Guide: Buy less shit. And also, buy used shit.
DOUBLE EDIT: I forgot to mention this green guide that I discovered a bookmarked a couple weeks ago: Good Guide. I haven't had the chance to fully check it out, but it seems pretty helpful.
I've often thought that there ought to be a website that is an all in one buying guide. Union, equality, fair trade, environmental, and all the others.
ReplyDeleteAgreed. Maybe we should make one.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you mentioned the Workplace Equality Guide because I had never heard of it. Now it's listed under my favorites.
ReplyDelete