
Earlier today I began cleaning out my book shelf, and I use "began" loosely because really what happened is I grabbed the first binder and became immersed in my notes, articles, and handouts from my Psychology of Women and Gender course I took at Winona in the spring of 2008. This introduced me to the world, feminism, and the state of social justice in not only our nation, but others as well, and it is a course that forever changed my life, all for the better. One of the handouts I came across is "The Heterosexual Questionnaire," which was written by Dr. Martin Rochlin, and the copy I have was taken from Changing Men in the spring of 1982 (there are several online links for it, as well, here and here). Perhaps you've seen it or versions of it before, but it's too great to not share here. Not only is it clever, but it's also a useful tool when talking to people who are anti-gay rights:
1. What do you think caused your heterosexuality?
2. When and how did you decide you were a heterosexual?
3. Is it possible that your heterosexuality is just a phase you may grow out of?
4. Is it possible that your heterosexuality stems from a neurotic fear of others of the same sex?
5. If you have never slept with a person of the same sex, is it possible that all you need is a good gay lover?
6. Do your parents know that you are straight? Do you friends and/or roommate(s) know? How do they react?
7. Why do you insist on flaunting your heterosexuality? Can't you just be who you are and keep it quiet?
8. Why do heterosexuals place so much emphasis on sex?
9. Why do heterosexuals feel compelled to seduce others in to their lifestyle?
10. A disproportionate majority of child molesters are heterosexual. Do you consider it safe to expose children to heterosexual teachers?
11. Just what do mean and women do in bed together? How can they truly know how to please each other, being so anatomically different?
12. With all the societal support marriage receives, the divorce rate is spiraling. Why are there so few stable relationships among heterosexuals?
13. Statistics show that lesbians have the lowest incidence of sexually transmitted diseases. Is it really safe for a woman to maintain a heterosexual lifestyle and run the risk of disease and pregnancy?
14. How can you become a whole person if you limit yourself to compulsive, exclusive heterosexuality?
15. Considering the menace of overpopulation, how could the human race survive if everyone were heterosexual?
16. Could you trust a heterosexual therapist to be objective? Don't you feel s/he might be inclined to influence you in the direction of her/his own leanings?
17. There seem to be a very few happy heterosexuals. Techniques have been developed that might enable you to change if you really want to. Have you considered trying aversion therapy?
18. Would you want your child to be heterosexual, knowing the problems that s/he would face?
I've seen this before. It is quite witty.
ReplyDeleteI think I will use #10 the next time I find myself having to argue in favor of gay marriage as a civil right, just to throw the other person off kilter... Great questions!
ReplyDeleteThis is fantastic.
ReplyDeleteLove this!
ReplyDeleteNumber 10 is amazing...