“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Monday, August 9, 2010

Monday's Poem: I Am So Depressed I Feel Like Jumping in the River Behind my House but Won't Because I'm Thirty-Eight and not Eighteen

Poems with extra long titles are always interesting. Here is one by Sandra Cisneros:

I Am So Depressed I Feel Like Jumping in the River Behind My House but Won't Because I'm Thirty-Eight and Not Eighteen

Bring me a drink.
I need to think a little.
Paper. Pen.
And I could use the stink
of a good cigar - even
though the sun's out.
The grackles in the trees.
The grackles inside my heart.
Broken feathers and stiff wings.

I could jump.
But I don't.
You could kill me.
But you won't.

The grackles
calling to each other.
The long hours.
The long hours.
The long hours.

1 comment:

  1. "And I could use the stink of a good cigar..."
    I can smell the darn thing!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.