“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Monday, August 30, 2010

Monday's Poem: Antics

Today's poem is one that hangs on my wall (along with 7 others) in a large black frame. I like this poem because it poses a question I often find myself asking . . . I look at people, or read about people, people who were once babies and grew up to be monsters, or who grew up to just be, I don't know, unhappy? And I ask, What happened? What happened in between the time they were innocent and unsuspecting newborns, and now? And I answer my own question with The World. Life. But the generality of that answer leaves me yet unsatisfied and leads me to the even more general and unsatisfying questions of what, beyond nature and nurture, makes you you and me me. What about your nature and nurture makes you you? And even though I don't expect answers to these questions, I ask them nonetheless. Such is me, for better or worse.

The poem is by Cid Corman.


Antics

Kids are strange
and special.
One jeers and

another
sneers or stares
or fearful

scoots away.
What gets in
to any

one to be
what he or
she is? The

stone kicked so
far is left
finally

alone and
looks much as
it did when

it started--
though no one
now much cares.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.