“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

"Monday's" Poem: Extra

This poem is by Beth Ann Fennelly, a contemporary poet I admire deeply. I've had the pleasure of meeting her twice--once she visited my sophomore poetry class at WSU, and last February she was signing books at the AWP in Chicago. This poem is from her 2004 book Tender Hooks, which she wrote after the birth of her daughter.

Extra

It's happening:
my daughter's
heavier. I hold her
& she grows
down. She'll hit
the ground running.

An old movie,
& in the background
an ancient woman
carries against her chest
a sack of groceries.
It gets away
from her. All
that pretty fruit
rolling in the dirty street
& how bereft
her arms look, hugging air.

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.