“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Basil!

Yesterday I made myself some pasta for lunch, and I put fresh basil leaves on that I grew myself, which made the entire dish even that much more delicious. And guess what? It was organic basil because I grew it myself from organic seeds. And it was free! Well, the pack of basil seeds cost a dollar or two, but that's practically free when you consider that you can probably grow 100 basil plants from one pack, and then you can harvest the seeds and grow more, etc., etc.

Aside from culinary use, basil also has medicinal uses: basil aids the digestive system and has been known to alleviate stomach cramps, headaches, and stress. I want to make basil tea, but I think I need a lot more basil to do that.... good thing I still have a ton of seeds from my two-dollar pack!

On another gardening note, yesterday we transplanted tomatoes, cucumbers, and iceberg lettuce into our outdoor raised-bed garden. And I planted carrot seeds. And Jason planted some rows of sweet corn along the back of our yard. And we have two apple trees! Gah, I feel like we are growing gold in our backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.