"There is a world which poets cannot seem to enter. It is the world
everybody else lives in. And the only thing poets seem to have in common
is their yearning to enter this world."
from Mary Ruefle's "Someone Reading a Book is a Sign of Order in the World."
Mary teaches poetry at VCFA, and I'm highly considering working with her for my last semester... she is brilliant.
More quotes from the above piece:
"I am a writer, and the next step is inevitable: I used what had been revealed to me in my own writing."
"We are all one question, and the best answer seems to be love—a connection between things."
"Our minds and the universe—what else is there? Margaret Mead described
intellectuals as those who are bored when they don't have the chance to
talk interestingly enough. Now a book will talk interestingly to you.
George Steiner describes the intellectual as one who can't read without a
pencil in her hand. One who wants to talk back to the book, not take
notes but make them: one who might write "The giraffe speaks!" in the
margin. In our marginal existence, what else is there but this voice
within us, this great weirdness we are always leaning forward to listen
to?"
And she quotes Kafka:
"'Altogether, I think we ought to read only books that bite and sting us.
If the book we are reading doesn't shake us awake like a blow to the
skull, why bother reading it in the first place? So that it can make us
happy, as you put it? Good God, we'd be just as happy if we had no books
at all; books that make us happy we could, in a pinch, write ourselves.
What we need are books that hit us like a most painful misfortune, like
the death of someone we loved more than we love ourselves, that make us
feel as though we had been banished to the woods, far away from any
human presence, like a suicide. A book must be the ax for the frozen sea
within us. That is what I believe.'—Kafka in a letter, 1904"
"'Altogether, I think we ought to read only books that bite and sting us. If the book we are reading doesn't shake us awake like a blow to the skull, why bother reading it in the first place? So that it can make us happy, as you put it? Good God, we'd be just as happy if we had no books at all; books that make us happy we could, in a pinch, write ourselves. What we need are books that hit us like a most painful misfortune, like the death of someone we loved more than we love ourselves, that make us feel as though we had been banished to the woods, far away from any human presence, like a suicide. A book must be the ax for the frozen sea within us. That is what I believe.'—Kafka in a letter, 1904" <---- GAH! THIS! THIS! THIS!
ReplyDeleteI knew you would love that part. When I read it I thought of you instantly. I thought "Azia wants to write books like this. Azia is going to write books like this. One day I am going to read a book like this and it will have been written by Azia."
Delete