“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Thursday, February 16, 2012

the best habit

Last semester my adviser, the poet/novelist/memoir-ist (yeah, he's hardcore), Rigoberto Gonzalez, had me writing him 10 new poems every four weeks. At first it sounded overwhelming but I adjusted because if he asks for 10 new poems, he gets 10 new poems. Of course, some were absolute shit, but the point is that I got into the habit of just writing. Writing even when I didn't totally feel like it. Even when I felt like I had zero ideas. After an entire semester like that, it's become a habit to write just about every day. I still have times when I don't feel like working on a poem, but those times are rare now, and usually due to being super tired...

This semester my adviser wants just 3-5 new poems, and as many revised poems as I wish to send her. But of course I'm writing many more new poems than that. I can't help it! I can't stop! And it's not really a problem except that I also have to write a 5,000 word critical thesis. And articles for my freelance jobs. And right now I have to pick up dog shit before the sun goes down. And a girl's gotta eat! Which doesn't really flow with picking up dog shit. BY THE WAY: If you want a nice dog as a pet I have one for you!

1 comment:

  1. Poem about picking up dog shit at sunset?! It could be quite romantic.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.