“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

on freedom and finding your ladder

"What this is all about, Santos, is freedom. The freedom to see something awesome in the sky and gab a nearby ladder and climb it until you can touch that awesome thing and once you have a solid footing on the top step, grab the awesome thing and pull it toward your chest and slowly walk backwards down the ladder until you're back on the sidewalk and it's cool to take the awesome thing to a park or somewhere else that's quiet and just hold it."

--from the short story "Why We Must Write Prison Baby," in Thomas Mundt's collection You Have Until Noon To Unlock the Secrets of the Universe, Goldfish Press, 2011

FIND YOUR AWESOME THING THEN FIND THAT LADDER. IF YOU CAN'T FIND A LADDER I SUGGEST YOU BUILD ONE YOURSELF.

3 comments:

  1. Amazing words! So many times, we just settle for looking up and don't climb the ladder.
    Hope you are doing well and your new year is starting out the way you want it to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I really needed to hear that today. Those are some powerful and encouraging words. I wish I had a ladder nearby............... *sigh* (Positive thinking, right??)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If there is not a ladder nearby, start building your own...

    xo. positive thoughts. xo.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.