Working on that paper (highly likely I'll finish it today), and just taking a break to share with you one of my favorite quotes of all time (favorite in that I relate to this so much it's like I could have said it first):
“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath
I can't reconcile her statement with the fact that she killed herself. I wonder if she was being dishonest or if something changed for her...
ReplyDeleteI very much enjoyed your photos.
I would guess that in the moment she wrote that statement she felt that way, and eventually her depression overtook... :(
ReplyDeletePerhaps. This would make it seem more a wish to be a certain way rather than an expression of being that way. Often, I write what is true for me in the moment without regard for what is the norm (for me), so surely others do too.
ReplyDeleteYes, I do that too. Yet also sometimes I'm not sure what my "norm" is and feel that THAT changes depending on the moment... Also, I'm not sure when Plath wrote that statement, if it was close to her time of death or not...I might go find out though.
ReplyDelete